Tuesday 14 May 2013

Awesome Bakewell tart

I'm going to see a friend from church tomorrow and I thought I'd make her a Bakewell tart.  This is the third time I've made this tart - and all within about a month.  The first one I made because Fantastic Mr Fox is very partial to Bakewell tart and I hadn't made one for him in ages.  I was going to take most of it into work as I often do with baking), but then I tasted the tart and decided it was so awesome that my poor colleagues weren't going to get a look in...  It was that good.  The second time I made it I managed to take it out to a group of friends - and Fantastic Mr Fox was very disappointed that not much came back...
 
This recipe is from British Baking by Peyton and Byrne (http://www.peytonandbyrne.co.uk/peyton-and-byrne-at-st-pancras/index.html).  I make several trips a year to London for work and almost always go by train, so I've long been calling into St Pancreas to visit the Peyton and Byrne café for sustenance for the return trip, or into one of the British Library cafes they run for a restorative coffee after the trip down (particularly if I got the 5:40am train...).  The biscuits and cakes all look amazing - they vary from good takes on standard cakes to more unusual offerings including Jaffa cakes.  I am particularly partial to the chocolate hazelnut cookies, although I would also give an honourable mention to the gingerbread men and the heart-shaped jammy dodgers.  So really it was only a matter of time before this book joined the others on my bookshelf...
 
 
I used homemade jam previously, but having used up my stash (hooray!  Usually I don't - I enjoy making jam more than I eat jam...), I bought some jam from the lovely Craigie's farm near the Forth Road Bridge (http://www.craigies.co.uk/) because I was pretty confident it would be good and be worthy of this tart. 


The pastry in the recipe is quite unusual - it is described as being biscuit like and it is in more ways than one.  You start with soft butter and make the pastry via a creaming method (I used my KitchenAid mixer).   I made the pastry each time with partly plain flour and partly wholemeal spelt flour (trying to increase the whole grains in my baking).  The pastry was prone to breaking up and I had to do a patchwork job to line the tin, but it seemed to work.  This may be because the wholemeal spelt flour changed how much moisture was needed or may be due to my ineptitude with pastry (it's not my favourite thing to make).  The pastry is definitely the biggest job - partly because you need to chill it twice, although you don't bake it blind.  However, the chilling time does give me a chance to do a quick wash of the mixer bowl ready to make the frangipane (I added a few drops of almond extract).  Once the tart is lined and chilled you just need to put in the jam. Then you add some fresh berries (I used frozen raspberries) and top with the frangipane and then sliced almonds and bake.  I baked it on a preheated tray, just to make sure that I avoided a soggy bottom (given the lack of blind baking) and it all turned out beautifully. 
 
 

All in all, relatively easy (though a bit time consuming) and a delicious product. 
 
 
Happy baking!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment